Boardwalk 1968-2006

The Boardwalk Hotel and Casino was owned and operated by MGM Mirage. It was part of the Holiday Inn hotel chain but left after being acquired by Mirage Resorts. It was built before the era of the mega-casinos, and was consequently tiny in comparison to many of its neighbors, with only 654 rooms.

Most visitors to Las Vegas would argue the best feature of the Boardwalk was the location on the “Strip”: in between the plush Bellagio and the Monte Carlo and across from the Paris, Alladin and MGM Grand.

The hotel’s Coney Island theme could be seen in its facade with an original 1906 parachute jump ride and a wooden (non-functioning) roller coaster. The hotel was composed of three distinct buildings all built at different times. The newest building was the 16-story tower built in 1996. The Steeplechase building was 6 stories and the Luna Park building was the original four-story structure when the hotel first opened.

 

History

Originally an independently owned hotel and casino located on the Las Vegas Strip, the Boardwalk became owned by a public corporation (Boardwalk Casino, Inc.) in 1994. It was later acquired by Mirage Resorts in 1997.

The hotel and casino closed on January 9, 2006, and the main hotel tower was imploded on May 9, 2006 at 2:34 a.m. PST in order to prepare the site for CityCenter.

[singlepic id=441 w=320 h=240 float=center]

[singlepic id=442 w=320 h=240 float=center]

 

Following Hotel Links:
CityCenter Las Vegas

 

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article “Boardwalk Hotel and Casino”, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

lasvegasguide.andreaskahr.com